So going into second year at university has brought about some challenges that I didn’t face last year. I have to make a packed lunch every day in order to save myself some money by not buying food on campus and to ensure that I stay on top of eating healthily. Making a packed lunch is not new to me, I never had school dinners throughout my time in both primary and secondary school, so I have always had to make a packed lunch for myself. However, finding the time and planning for the day ahead is something that I struggle with. Hopefully this blog will give you some ideas and inspiration for your own healthy packed lunches.
The majority of the time I will take leftovers from my dinner the night before. My favourite leftover packed lunch option is my Homemade Chicken/Prawn stir fry. It’s so easy to make, there is barely any washing up and it’s healthy!
1. Chop up onions, peppers, spring onions, garlic and any other veggies you fancy.
2. Stir fry on medium heat until slightly soft in texture. Then add chopped up chicken and prawns.
3. Add two portions worth of par-cooked noodles to hot water and leave for about 5 minutes.
4. Once the chicken is cooked, add sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, a dash of honey and lemon juice. Don’t forget about salt and pepper and any other seasoning.
5. Add the noodles and stir so everything mixes together. Make sure you leave yourself a portion for your lunch, let it cool and then pop it in the fridge ready for the morning.
This stir fry is very tasty as a noodle salad but could also be heated up if you prefer.
Another leftovers favourite of mine is Cheesy Chorizo Chicken. This is another quick meal that is healthy for you.
1. Fry onions, peppers, spinach and garlic together in a pan until soft.
2. Add chorizo slices and fry for 3 minutes.
3. Add chicken and stir constantly. Add sweet chilli sauce and other seasoning.
4. Leave until chicken is fully cooked and then add the cheese until it melts. Again follow the same procedure above in regards to storage.
One healthy lunch that I prepare in the morning is BBQ turkey wraps.
1. Take one wholemeal wrap and spread BBQ sauce mixed with natural yoghurt over the wrap.
2. Add slices of turkey down the centre of the wrap.
3. Then add slices of cheese and lots of green salad leaves.
4. Wrap it up and off you go!
Drinks wise I tend to take a smoothie that I make in the morning with me for the day. In the blender I throw in: 1 banana, handful of frozen berries, dash of natural yoghurt, dash on cranberry juice, splash of milk and a squeeze of honey. I absolutely love this smoothie and it’s a great way to get a few of your five-a-day in.
In regards to snacks I always have fruit on hand whether it’s a banana or an apple but I also love the Go Ahead crispy slices, which I know aren’t that healthy but they are much better than having a chocolate bar every day.
So I hope this has given you some inspiration and ideas for your packed lunches. By making a packed lunch you will save yourself so much money in the long run and you will keep on top of eating healthily.